Sunday, May 07, 2006

Silver Linings

Erg. I did not sleep very well today, it was too sunny, and people, who shall remain nameless, kept calling me...on purpose. (I can sense your gasps of astonishment, but it's true!) What’s even worse is by the time I get adjusted to the night routine again I'm going to have to switch back over to days. Ah well, such is life. Work was intense last night, or I should say this morning. My patient started emitting bright red blood from his OG tube, it completely freaked me out. Of course, I kept my calm and did the necessary things and everything turned out okay, but I always get scared around GI bleeds. Another one of my patients a while back had a massive GI bleed, dropped his pressures to 80/40 even with vasoactive drips. Pretty scary stuff. Emergent surgery and all that.
But the title of this entry is silver linings. So I should start with the good stuff. Emergent surgery guy is home with his family doing fine. My current patient was stable when I left, always good news. Now I must expose my materialistic side and admit the other silver lining is I made a mistake on my taxes but the IRS fixed it and I get a bigger tax return. Whoohoo!..ahem, I mean, that's nice. Also, I was able to get vacation days so I can go on my family's annual Door County excursion for five days. YAY! Finally, I'll be working straight nights for a straight month, which means an end to the flip-flopping for a time. Life may not always be good, but I'm fairly content at the moment.

1 comment:

Jane said...

The silver lining of this post is that you can come to Door County for 5 days!!!
And, I'm sorry for waking you up, but I only did it ONCE and you did it to me TWICE!
~lovingly, mom